Great Limerick Run & Riverfest Limerick 2013 Go Green
The 2013 Great Limerick Run & Riverfest Limerick events will go green next weekend (May 3rd, 6th, 2013).
Many different initiatives are being put in place to minimise the environmental impact of these two great Limerick events by The Regional Waste Management Office (RWMO) for Limerick Clare Kerry, the Environment Section of Limerick City Council, Stop Food Waste (SFW) and Clean Ireland Recycling. The run itself generates over 70,000 plastic bottles, tonnes of cardboard and plastic film as well as thousands of banana skins so well done to the event organisers who have come on board.
- Light Riverfest BBQ will fire up at 11am on Saturday, May 4th on Denmark Street, Market Quarter. An amateur competition, the day long event will host three different cooking categories based on flavour, texture and presentation. See up to 100 teams take part in this fun event and try out some free samples of delectable treats.
- Visit the RWMO Food Waste Prevention Stand at this event where we launch the -5kg challenge, encourage householders to take an Eco Pledge & distribute food portion tools.
- Check out the Waste Prevention stand at Great Limerick Run Expo in UL Sports Arena – Saturday 2-4pm.
- Use the segregated waste stations throughout the continental market.
- Use the special recycling bins in the city centre and along the 10km race route.
- Use public transport or car share to & from the event.
- Buying a coffee, a bar of chocolate or an energy boosting banana? Look out for the Fair Trade logo & purchase from these stores.
- Where possible buy local or Irish goods to support the local economy.
- Going shopping before or after the event? Avoid unnecessary packaging & always bring a reusable bag no matter what you intend purchasing.
For more information on the greening of these events contact:
Pauline McDonogh, Limerick Clare Kerry Regional Waste Management Office
Tel: 087 2755538; 061 496844